1.02.2012

Extremely Delicious Mac & Cheese


So, it's been like a month that I'm craving for some homemade mac & cheese. I bought the cheeses, I bought the pasta and then Christmas arrived. And then New Year's Eve. So they've been waiting in my fridge for maybe a week or two... Finally, yesterday, I decided to make them. And, as I previously did before, based my cooking on Jack Scalfani's Incredible Mac and Cheese. Of course, as I always do, changed it a little bit. I actually didn't use and Gruyere or Monterey Jack cheeses. I used Mozarella and Swiss cheeses. I didn't use chipotle chili powder -and have never heard of it, can't find it here-, I used chile powder. You will see.



You will need:
  • 12 oz penne pasta (340 gr)
  • 12 oz mozarella cheese (1.5 cup)
  • 1 tsp chile powder
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups milk
  • 8 oz shredded Cheddar cheese (226 gr block)
  • 8 oz shredded Swiss cheese (226 gr block)
  • 1 tsp chile powder
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt

I forgot to place the flour for the picture, and I was thinking of adding pepper, and I didn't.


Now, first things first. Shred your cheeses.


Cheddar cheese.


Swiss cheese.


In medium heat, place the butter. Don't burn it.


Melt the butter.


Add the flour. I know this is not a dry measuring cup, but this is all I got =0)




Whisk for 2 to 3 minutes, until well blended and you have something similar to a paste.


Add 1 cup of milk and whisk. Then the other cup. And whisk. And then the last one. And keep whisking.



Continue whisking for 10 minutes. You will notice that it will become thicker. After 4 minutes...


After 9 minutes.


After 10 minutes. Turn the heat off. And add the garlic powder, salt and 1 tsp chili powder.


Stir until well blended, for 45 second and add the cheddar cheese.


Whisk until well blended.


Add the Swiss cheese.


Whisk until well blended.


Look at that!


Now, cook your pasta. Let it cook until 2 minutes before it's completely cooked. And by this, I mean: I always cook penne pasta for 13 minutes sharp. Now, I just left it there for 11 minutes. I always add the pasta when the water is boiling. Always.

 

While the pasta is cooking, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).


Drain the penne pasta and don't rinse. 


Place it again in the pot you cooked it before.


Add the cheese sauce you just prepared. It may be a little bit cooler, it's ok. The top may be darker, it's ok.


Now, stir with a wooden spoon (or plastic) very carefully, so you won't break the pasta. Keep doing it until well blended.


Now, grease a 9 X 13 in. pan (I used PAM) and place the pasta there.


This is looking good. You should have seen my husband's face. He was like "Oh my God, this looks so amazing, I want to try it right now!!!!"


Now, Top with mozarella cheese and dash chili powder around. To taste, I used around 1 tsp.


Place it in the oven for 20 minutes. 


Oh-My-God. This looks amazing.


Can you see all the cheese in there? It smells wonderful! And that crispy mozarella cheese it's amazing!


Do you wanna try it?


What? Are you on a diet? WHAT?! You should really try it. It's amazing.


Yeah, it really is.


I thought about adding some chicken. At the end of course. Or shrimp (I don't eat seafood, but still, it's a good combination). Just with salt and pepper. Don't wanna steal all the flavor from the cheese blend.





January 10, 2012:

 I'm linking to Stacy's Show Me What Ya Got #56 linky party

3 comments:

  1. y no fui hoy a la ofis para probarlos... ouch :[

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mi y mi familia le gustado las Mac y queso y que es mejor de mi abuelas. Nos servir con pollo también mis primos gustado más

    ReplyDelete
  3. mi familia y yo nos gustan mucho la comida.

    ReplyDelete