12.01.2011

Christmas Red Velvet Cupcakes


I can't describe how excited I was because I was going to bake the red velvet cupcakes. I want to make some Cake Balls or Cake Pops too. Remember I told you my hubby and I went on a roadtrip?? Ok, so I was able to buy many things we unfortunately can't find here in Mexico. For example, red velvet flour mix. And many other things =D so I'm really excited about this. This is the first time I bake red velvet flour, so I was really excited about how it tasted or how it looked. I was also really nervous.

So, I used:
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 package of Duncan Hines' Red Velvet flour mix
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 can of Duncan Hines' Cream Cheese flavored icing, which I'm really disappointed on the flavor, I thought it would taste as Cream Cheese, but it tastes like any regular VANILLA icing. And I like vanilla icing, but I also like cream cheese icing.
  • 1 tsp baking powder -I always forget to call this little character for the photoshoot



First, I preheated the oven to 350°F and sifted the red velvet flour together with the baking powder.



Now, with an electric mixer blended the eggs, milk, butter, and flour.

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, 

You can't imagine how happy and surprised I was when I saw the color it became! It's so beautiful!


After greasing the cupcakes pan with PAM (nonstick spray), I added the mix to each cupcake and filled a little more than 3/4. Placed them in the oven for 22 minutes and got them out.


As these are jumbo cupcakes, I had enough flour for 11 haha, so for the second round I added some mini semi-sweet chocolate chips from Hershey's, because I know Julio loves chocolate chips cupcakes. 


Like I told you, I was so excited because of this new experience, and while taking the cupcakes out of the oven, suddenly, out of nothing, I grabbed the pan with my naked fingers!!!!!! Can you believe that? It should have been at least 350°F. I burned my fingers :'( and then, here's the BEST TIP EVER:

Immediatly, after burning your skin, place some regular mustard and leave it there for at least 20 minutes, or until dry. I can assure you, I stopped feeling pain IMMEDIATLY and I have no marks in my fingers. It's amazing. It will burn a little while it's working -maybe you will hear a little mmm bubbling, but it will hurt nothing compared to placing ice, cold water or nothing at all. I repeat, DO NOT PLACE YOUR BURNT SKIN UNDER COLD RUNNING WATER AND DO NOT PLACE ICE. USE MUSTARD.


Here are the beautiful jumbo gigantic cupcakes.



Now, I spread some "Duncan Hines' cream cheese icing" on top of each cupcake. It tastes delicious, but it tastes VANILLA, not CREAM CHEESE. If you want CREAM CHEESE taste, you can use the recipe I used for the Ghostly Cupcakes


Here is a summary of the icing recipe: Use 1 Philadelphia cream cheese bar, 1/2 cup whipping cream and 3 tbsp icing sugar. Start mixing the cream cheese until it starts fluffing. Add the whipping cream and keep mixing, at low speed, for 5 minutes. Blend at medium speed for 3 minutes and go back to low. Add sugar and keep blending for 2 or 3 minutes.



Yum! I couldn't take a picture of all of them because my husband ate 3!


I started decorating the cupcakes, and my husband was really excited LOL, he wanted to decorate his cupcake... with mini kisses. Told you... he loves mini kisses. And he discovered the secret place were I usually keep them. OMG, you can see the photoshoot set in the back, LOL.


Ok, I tried to decorate one of the cupcakes with a candy cane. And I used these:


One word: FAIL


Now, the pictures of all my cupcakes. They were delicious... so fluffy!!!!!

Xmas sprinkles 

 Mini kisses and gingerbread flavored marshmallow

Toffee bites

 Pretzel



Red and green sugar

 Red sugar

Red and green sugar

 Green sugar

Xmas sprinkles

They taste so good, I'm in love with red velvet.





1 comment:

  1. Me encantaaaaaaaan!!! ñoms...dame cuando esté en Mty.!!

    ReplyDelete