2.01.2012

Cowboy Casserole


After reading The Cutting Edge of Ordinary's recipe I wanted to try it! I figured it would taste so good, and indeed, it did. I love ground beef, I love corn, I love potato (aka hasbrowns), I love cheddar cheese.... how could this combinations get wrong? You should definitely try it out. It's funny how The Cutting Edge of Ordinary calls it "looks like dog food", because it kind of does, but still, it tastes so good!

Of course, as always, I changed it a little bit and replaces the cream of mushrooms with cream of chicken and the cans, it didn't call for any size, so I just used the one I had, and I think it was the right size. My hashbrown bag was not full, but it was missing like 1/2 cup, so I still used that one. I couldn't find any sour cream (can you believe that?!) so I used regular cream.

Now, I used:
  • 1 1/2 lb ground beef (3/4 Kg)
  • 3 tsp chopped garlic
  • 1 block cheddar cheese (8 oz or 226 gr), shredded
  • 4 tbsp cream
  • 1 bag (30oz) tater tots (round hashbrowns)
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can condensed cream of chicken
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • non-stick spray


Heat some vegetable oil and cook the onion, until translucid.


Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.


Add the beef and cook... 


...until no more pink.


In a bowl, add milk, cream and cream of chicken.


Whisk.


Pour over beef.


Stir until combined.


Add corn and 1 cup of cheddar cheese.


Carefully stir until combined.


Grease a 9in X13in baking casserole and spread half of the hashbrowns in the bottom.


Top it with the beef mixture.


Top it with the other half of the hashbrowns.


Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese.


Bake at 350F for 20 minutes (until bubbly and melted).


Let it sit for 5 minutes and serve!


This is delicious!




Want to try it?


Tastes good!









2 comments: