9.19.2012

Rotisserie Chicken


So, I've been craving for rotisserie since who knows when! And finally, I bought a whole organic chicken and I made it! I used my convection oven, and it worked really great!!! I'm really excited because it was so juicy, so delicious, so crunchy, so yum!!! And the best thing is that's really healthy =) Really crispy and flavorful. I hope you get the chance to try it out, it's totally worth it. Even the hubs wants me to make another one, with BBQ sauce (he's not a BBQ lover.... weird!!). So, I based my preparation in princechopper's recipe. I changed it a bit, both in content and timing.

I used:
  • 1 whole organic chicken, 3.3 lb
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp Season All salt
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp freshyl ground black pepper
  • 4 tbsp jarred garlic

Place all the ingredients together (except chicken) in a small mixing bowl.


Blend them together and reserve.


Now, wash your chicken with water and pat dry with paper towels.


I removed the skin from the breast because I don't like skin and wanted all the flavor in the chicken.


Now, look for the chicken giblets bag. I looked on both holes. The "back hole" and the "neck hole". Ha! Sorry for the picture.


Now, rub the chicken. All of it. If you have the time, you could leave it to marinate in a plastic bag for one day, before cooking. I didn't, I cooked it right away!!


Now, the tools I'll be using in the rotisserie oven! The big one is like a tweezer, and the other 3 pieces are for holding the chicken. 


Now, insert one of the rotisserie skewer into the long roll (rotisserie spit), pointing towards the center, insert in chicken and tighten the screw. You will need to pass the spit through the chicken.


Now, do the same thing with the other rotisserie skewer.


Now, open the rotisserie conventional oven. You can preheat it if you'd like. You will use these settings: 450°F, Rotisserie, and Stay On. Place the baking tray on the bottom for any drippings. Delicious drippings.


You will insert the pointed end of the rotisserie spit in the drive hole on the right wall of the oven. And then just position the left side on the left side wall. Ok, look at how the chicken is falling from the wings and legs... Bad bad bad chicken.


So I said, what the heck, let's just do it. I don't have any strings or unflavored dental floss... 
You will let it cook for 1:10 hr at 450°F, and then 20-25 minutes at 230°F.


After the first 20 minutes, the chicken was falling, as you saw, but pushing the baking tray away. I didn't want my glass door to crash because of heat transferred by the baking tray, pushed by the "open" chicken. So I removed it and was looking for something to tight it up. And I remembered I had some wooden skewers. And I said, ha! that's it! So I used three to hold the pieces together (1-both legs, 1 -both wings, 1 -across). They worked fine!! I cutted them so that they would be as "big" as the chicken.


Now, place the chicken again in the oven.


And keep cooking until well cooked. Again: You will let it cook for 1:10 hr at 450°F, and then 20-25 minutes at 230°F.


Look at that beauty!!! And the smell is amazing!!!! Beautiful!!!!


Look at that crispy skin!


I left it rest, for at least 20 minutes. Actually, overnight, but if you are eating it today, just let it rest for 20 minutes so that when you cut it, it won't drip all the juices.


I drizzled all the baking sheet drippings on top of the chicken.



And just cut it! I left leg + tight together, so instead of 8 pieces, I got 6! Amazing, so easy and so healthy and so yum!


Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment