12.08.2011

Black Beans and Chilorio Tacos


I was planning on baking a turkey and tortilla chips casserole for tonight, but I went to run some errands and it was already late when I was going to start. So I thought of cooking it next day. So I was looking for something quick'n'easy to eat and I remembered I had chilorio, and as I always have, black beans.

Ok, so I cheated a little bit here and went to Wikipedia to find the exact definition of chilorio, because I know it is pork in a chili sauce, but I still want to share with you the definition. So, according to Wikipedia, chilorio is a Mexican pork dish from the state of Sinaloa (North Mexico). "It is generally madre from pork fried in chile sauce. In making chilorio, pork is slow-simmered for hours until it falls apart. It is then broken into bite size pieces, fried in lard, and cooked in a chile sauce madre from re-hydrated dried chiles. The sauce is usually flavored with onions, cumin and garlic".

Now, I usually buy a pack (or a can) of chilorio, I don't actually cook it, but I'm writing this on my to-do list. Cook chilorio from scratch.

So, as this was supposed to be a quick'n'easy meal, let's go down to business and see how I prepared it.

I used some salsas (sauces) at the end, so you can do too if you like them spicy. Or sour cream.




For the recipe I used:
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 pack or can of refried black beans
  • 3 tbsp tomato puree (not in the picture, I always forget something when taking the picture)
  • 1 pack or can of chilorio, I love CHATA brand, it's the more natural flavored
  • 1 tsp regular Maggi seasoning sauce
  • pepper
  • Season All seasoned salt
  • 1/4 cup of water


Heat 1.5 tbsp of vegetable oil and add the beans and the tomato puree. Stir.


When it is well blended, add the water, seasoned salts, a dash of Maggi and pepper to taste. You don't want to make them too seasoned, as the chilorio is already a spicy and seasoned dish. Stir until the beans absorb the water. You don't want the water to just evaporate. I add water because I want them spreadable.


Look at Princesa's face.. she wants some tacos haha...


As you can see, the beans are done. I like Isadora brand because they have full beans and crushed beans. You can taste the natural bean, not just artificial flavor.


Now, in a deep skillet add the 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil and the chilorio. You don't need to add any salt, pepper or anything at all. It is already prepared and seasoned. Even pre-cooked. You just need to heat it. I add a little oil so it will fry.


My husband bought some raw tortillas, so you can cook them exactly when you will eat them. Look at them. They look so beautiful. At really low heat.


Can you see what happens when I turn them around? Yum!


Stir.


Keep stirring. Look how good this looks!


Now, take a tortilla, spread some beans in there, add some chilorio. I served them with some Ranchero cheese slices.


Add some sour cream.


Or some huerfana sauce from Del Primo.


Or some morita chile sauce from Del Campezino.


Or some red salsa from Del Primo.


Simply, delicious. 


I ate around 7 or 8 tacos!!! So tomorrow, I'll have to stay more time in the bike than usual.


You see? My husband is cooking more tortillas because we both, together, ate around... 15 or 16 tacos! OMG.







No comments:

Post a Comment